At Refuge Counseling we are unique in that we also provide Christian/Biblical Counseling to those who would like the truth of God’s Word integrated throughout their therapeutic process. We view therapy as tool that God can use as a sanctifying healing process to transform His people into His likeness, emotionally healing them from the inside out. While there are many benefits to traditional therapy/counseling, we believe the Word of God and the power of the Gospel ultimately has the power to transform and heal a person from the inside out. Please note, we do not impose the Christian faith on others.
What to Expect
For those who provide consent to receive Christian/Biblical counseling, we generally will examine scripture to draw out the heart of God, in order that you understand the Will of God and how it applies to your situation. In practicum (depending on your comfort), sometimes that means praying for you in sessions, reading scripture applicable to your situation, helping you find answers to your questions, providing assignments that encourage meditation on particular verses of scripture, etc. It overall looks different from person to person and we meet each person where they are in their search for answers along their spiritual journey.
What We Believe
- The Scriptures, both Old and New Testament, to be the inspired Word of God, without error in the original writings, the complete revelation of His will for the salvation of men, and the Divine and final authority for Christian faith and life.
- In one God, Creator of all things, infinitely perfect and eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- That Jesus Christ is true God and true man, having been conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. He died on the cross, a sacrifice for our sins according to the Scriptures. Further, He arose bodily from the dead, ascended into Heaven, where, at the right hand of the Majesty on High, God the Father, He is now our High Priest and Advocate.
- That the ministry of the Holy Spirit is to glorify the Lord Jesus Christ and, during this age, to convict men, regenerate the believing sinner, and indwell, guide, instruct, and empower the believer for godly living and service.
- That man was created in the image of God but fell into sin and is therefore lost, and only through regeneration by the Holy Spirit can salvation and spiritual life be obtained.
- That the shed blood of Jesus Christ and His resurrection provide the only ground for justification and salvation for all who believe, and only such who have saving faith Jesus Christ are born of the Holy Spirit and thus become children of God.
- That water baptism and the Lord’s Supper are ordinances to be observed by the Church during the present age. They are, however, not to be regarded as a means of salvation.
- That the true Church is composed of all such persons who through saving faith in Jesus Christ have been regenerated by the Holy Spirit and are united together in the Body of Christ of which He is the Head.
- Ministry to persons acknowledges the complexity of humans as physical, social, psychological, and spiritual beings. The ultimate goal of Christian counseling is to help others move to personal wholeness, interpersonal competence, mental stability, and spiritual maturity.