At Refuge Counseling, I am committed to building healthy Christians by addressing the mental, emotional, and physical aspects of ourselves, as well as our spiritual health and wellness. A primary component of Christian counseling is understanding and rightly applying the wisdom of God’s Word to your current situation.
What To Expect
For those who provide consent to integrate Christian counseling into their therapeutic process, it generally involves understanding your spiritual formation, your conversion experience, how you view God and apply scripture, that helps me understand your approach to your spiritual growth. Do you view God as an angry, unforgiving, Heavenly Father ready to condemn you? Do you approach the scriptures as “right” and “wrong,” often times condemning yourself, or walking in guilt when you fall short? These all inform your spiritual health and wellness, as well as your understanding of God.
What I Believe
- The Scriptures, both Old and New Testament, to be the inspired Word of God, without error in the original writings, the complete revelation of His will for the salvation of men, and the Divine and final authority for Christian faith and life.
- In one God, Creator of all things, infinitely perfect and eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- That Jesus Christ is true God and true man, having been conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. He died on the cross, a sacrifice for our sins according to the Scriptures. Further, He arose bodily from the dead, ascended into Heaven, where, at the right hand of the Majesty on High, God the Father, He is now our High Priest and Advocate.
- That the ministry of the Holy Spirit is to glorify the Lord Jesus Christ and, during this age, to convict men, regenerate the believing sinner, and indwell, guide, instruct, and empower the believer for godly living and service.
- That man was created in the image of God but fell into sin and is therefore lost, and only through regeneration by the Holy Spirit can salvation and spiritual life be obtained.
- That the shed blood of Jesus Christ and His resurrection provide the only ground for justification and salvation for all who believe, and only such who have saving faith Jesus Christ are born of the Holy Spirit and thus become children of God.
- That water baptism and the Lord’s Supper are ordinances to be observed by the Church during the present age. They are, however, not to be regarded as a means of salvation.
- That the true Church is composed of all such persons who through saving faith in Jesus Christ have been regenerated by the Holy Spirit and are united together in the Body of Christ of which He is the Head.
- Ministry to persons acknowledges the complexity of humans as physical, social, psychological, and spiritual beings. The ultimate goal of Christian counseling is to help others move to personal wholeness, interpersonal competence, mental stability, and spiritual maturity.